Friday, September 28, 2007

Fan Letters...An example

I get a fair amount of letters, err...emails, from readers of my magazine column. There's a lot of (maybe too much) variety, ranging from pointed questions to random thoughts, and even a proposal for marriage! (Note to Miriam C., 82 years young- While I appreciate the revealing photos, I’m already taken!)

One of the letters read like this:
I read your column this week – as I usually do – and laughed – as I usually do…and it was so true what you said about “Oh no, another local magazine.” I decided to browse through it despite my initial thoughts on the magazine and found that it was actually quite interesting. I must say that your article is one of my favorites –sometimes useful and always pretty funny. I have been reading it ever since. (Ok, ok not EVERY issue). Your plea for help has not gone unnoticed and I felt the immediate need to get my wits about me and send you an email. I thought that I would start typing and something would come to me that would help but unfortunately nothing so far. I was wondering if you had children – I have a 12 year old and a 1 year old and thought perhaps you may want to branch out in that direction. For example, do you have experience with potty training? I bet you would have a flood of questions. With that suggestion said I do have a question (more of a curiosity) that I have wondered about in the past. Bear with me – I am only trying to help you out. My question: Why are the houses in Phoenix made with 2x4’s instead of 2x6’s? Where I came from - the north - most houses are constructed with 2x6’s. Wouldn’t this be more energy efficient – the houses seem paper thin.

Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for reading! Yes, I have three children, ages 10, 9, and 6. When it comes to potty training, I find duct tape to be a wonderful product! This is just one reason why I focus my efforts on home tips and not raising kids. I will give you one quick tidbit, though. When your three year old son utters the phrase “Oh no, I “goed” poopy on Spiderman!” it’s not a good thing.

Regarding the construction of homes using 2x4’s instead of 2x6’s, you are absolutely correct. 2x6 is better. With a 2x6 wall you will get better insulation and sound proofing, and you’ll also get straighter walls. With the insulation, most builders use a batt type of material. Batt insulation comes in various thicknesses which translate into different “R-values”. R-value is the material’s ability to resist the flow of heat. The higher the R-value the more effective the insulation. a 2x4 wall will take up to an R-15 batt, will a 2x6 wall will take up to R-21. I have seen some builders try to push an R-21 batt into a 2x4 wall, but that does no good because compressing the insulation reduces it’s R-value.

As to “why” they don’t all use 2x6, the basic answer is “value engineering”. This is builder-eze for making something cheaper, so they can increase their profits. Did I say that? Actually, what I meant was- so they can build you a better value your hard earned money. Why yes, I am running for political office, why do you ask?