Sunday, May 20, 2007

Duct Cleaning???

(From an email I received)
I just received (as probably everyone in town has) an advertising from a "Duct Cleaning Service". In the advertisement it touts that they can clean my vents and returns, brush, vacuum and wash the duct with a special solution. Plus free deodorizer for $74.00 and guarantee it up to 6 years warranty. My husband says it is a scam and that the material used for the ducts will tear, perforate, and costs us more to seal the vent airways in the long run. I say that his problems with his allergies and asthma has increased due to us not having the vents and airways cleaned. What do you say?
Thanks
Kay



Kay,

If it sounds too good to be true...

I'm not familiar with this company, but I hear about this type of pitch every spring. Think about it: With today's gas prices and wages, how the heck can anyone do anything that will benefit you and your ducts for $74? This is the way these things usually go...

Repair Guy: Hello Mrs. Sucker, er, I mean Smith, let's have a look at those ducts. (5 minutes later) Well, surprisingly enough, I've got some bad news. It seems after doing eight and a half seconds of actual work, we discovered that you have a tribe of Cannibalistic Duct Dwellers living in your attic. There’s a lot of it going around. Not only have they infested your heating AND cooling system, they've also gotten a hold of your credit cards and are charging Omaha Steaks and Yoo-hoo! And, oh yeah, they’re what is causing your husband’s allergies.

Mrs. Sucker: Wow, that sounds expensive! Can you help me, kind sir?

Repair Guy: Why yes! Today is your lucky day! For the most reasonable sum of $695.99, I can sell you an extended warranty. It seems that the CDD's hate these things. Once you write the check they will move to your neighbor's house. But don't worry, I'll be stopping by there in just a jiffy!

Mrs. Sucker: Oh, you kind man, how can I ever repay you? Will you have my lovely daughter's hand in marriage?

Hopefully, you get my point. If your house is less than five years old, and you've faithfully changed your return air filters, there's no need to pay to have them cleaned. If they are dirty, I'd have a trusted local company look at them and give you their opinion. I've seen way too many homeowners taken to the (duct) cleaners by fly-by-night services. While I doubt the practically useless service they perform will tear your ducts, it will perforate you checking account

Regarding your husband's allergies, your money is better spent on electronic air filters- the type that is installed right into the system. Trane make an excellent product called "Clean-Effects" that works very well. Simply cleaning your ducts will do nothing to combat the dust, dirt, and grime that come from everyday living in the desert.

Bottom line, your husband is probably right, don’t waste your money. If he’s anything like most husbands, this is likely the first time that he has ever been right, so you should celebrate the occasion over some nice thick steaks and a cold chocolaty beverage of your choice!